Welcome back to another edition of girl’s hair tutorials than can be done in under 10 minutes. My sister in law has done it again, and put together this St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Hair Tutorial. If you watched the Valentine’s Day Heart Hair Tutorial, this is very similar and uses the same pull through technique.
As you can see, you’re essentially creating 3 pull through hearts that are connected at the base. That ends up making it look like a shamrock.
As with our other hairstyles, the end result looks all fancy, but they’re actually easy enough that even I can do them. And that’s what this is all about. ‘Cause if I can do it, you can do it.
St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Hair Tutorial
What You’ll Need:
Ouchless polyband elastics – or your favorite hair elastic, preferably all green.
Spray bottle – for water, helps hold the hair in place and makes the hair easier to work with.
Rattail comb – important for nice clean parts.
Brush – you know, for brushing the hair out.
Bobby Pins – you may not need these for this style, sometimes though you may need to pin some wild hairs in place.
Pull Through Tool – this one’s optional, we never use one but it may help some for the pull through part
Putting it Together:
Here’s a handy video that shows you how to do it:
1) Spray the hair with a spray bottle to get the hair damp. You could also do this right out of the bath.
2) Brush the hair out.
3) Using a rat tail comb (this is crucial to get good parts) make a small section of ponytail on top of the head in the middle, leaving enough hair on either side for the other two hearts. This kind of elastic seems to work best.
4) Stick your finger, or the pull through tool, through the top part of the ponytail.
5) Now pull the ponytail under, up, and through. Leave the pony hanging in front.
6) Separate out the left third section of hair, and do the same thing.
7) Now do the same for the right, keeping nice clean parts.
8) You now have 3 sections of pull through ponytails. Start with the middle one, and separate the hair in half.
9) Twist each half around and around, and meet at the bottom of the hair, securing with an elastic. It should look like a heart.
10) Do the same for the other two pull through ponytails, securing each of them to the first heart.
11) When all three hearts are made and secured together, gather the rest of the hair into a ponytail.
12) Add a giant bow like this:
Or a ribbon like this:
And again, don’t be afraid that your daughter won’t sit still long enough… these hairstyles can be done so quickly, she won’t have time to realize you’re being all fancy:)