We’ve been able to breathe a little easier lately, but we also find ourselves falling back into the More You Make the More You Spend pattern. Case in point, on a whim we ended up buying a brand new trailer in September. My husband’s birthday/Christmas/Valentine’s Day/anniversary/St. Patrick’s Day/Easter present. Maybe even Father’s Day. It doesn’t really fall under any of the buckets I normally use, so I didn’t put it in the expenses below. But you better believe this is one of those things that is the reason we work hard.
This is our family’s “thing”. We love to go camping. Whether it be in a tent, in the bed of a truck (yes, we did that with a kid), in a pop-up trailer, or now in a real life hard sided trailer. I used to feel like I was cheating on nature if I wasn’t in a tent sleeping on the ground… but now I bask in its glory. And dare I say, I enjoy the nature even more now that I’m not changing diapers in the middle of it.
So that’s my tangent for this month. The end of camping season, leading into the one year anniversary of The Search for Imperfection. I can’t wait to see what these Expense and Income Reports look like next year!
Now, on to why you’re here:
- TRADER JOE’S – $365 (Looks better, I know. But pre-warning it’s only a 3 week month. October will reflect 5 weeks of shopping.)
- OTHER GROCERY – $262 (We could still do better on this one, but overall not bad.)
GROCERY – $627
EATING OUT – $435
I’ve alluded to it the last few months, but my husband finally bid into a route that brings him closer to our house. That means fewer commuting miles on his truck, but more importantly he’ll be able to come home for lunch and not have to eat out every day. Be sure to stay tuned to see what changes.
FOOD TOTAL – $1,062
Not a huge decrease from last month, but trending downward which is good.
- ZULILY – Zip, zilch, zero!
- COSTCO – $32
- WALMART – $64
- AMAZON – $28
- TARGET – $145
- HONEST COMPANY – $0
- REI – $0 (This is another expense we’ll probably see go down a bit when my husband isn’t driving by it every day. Not that I blame him, I’d be tempted too.)
SHOPPING TOTAL – $269
$237 less than August!!!!! I’d call that a win (just don’t think about the fact that, in theory, a brand new trailer should be in this section somehow, somewhere.)
I figured it was probably time to start factoring in my blog expenses, since I am incurring some on a monthly basis. It’s hard to look at this and not get discouraged, but I know it’s leading to greater things. I realize I say that every month, but if you look at what professional bloggers are spending this really isn’t that much.
- PIC MONKEY – $5
- IZEA – $1
- ADVERTISING – $0
- TAILWIND – $15 (I’m really starting to see the benefits from this which is exciting. It’s amazing how much more traffic Pinterest brings to the site.)
- iStock – $12.82 (I normally wouldn’t spend this much money on one image, but I’ve come to realize that imagery is everything in blogging and what I had before on this particular post was terrible.)
BLOG EXPENSE TOTAL – $33.82
Meh, not too bad.
TOTAL EXPENSES – $1,351.82
Less than last month!
And now on to the BLOG INCOME portion. If this is your first time reading, you may be wondering why I’m talking about income as well… It is my goal to eventually be able to earn a full time income on this blog. While I am still a VERY long ways from that, I wanted to keep track from the beginning to help see what’s working and what’s not. So in the interest of budgeting, full disclosure, and full accountability, I invite you to follow along on my progress. (By the way if you are also interested in starting your own website, Bluehost is a great place to begin, and if you use this link it’s only $2.95/month.)
- GOOGLE ADSENSE – $1.35
- IZEA – $8 (I did a few sponsored Tweets)
- AMAZON – $4.10 (Seeing a teeny uptick since I added Amazon ads to my site. Still no huge affiliate sales which is frustrating)
- TARGET – $0
- THE HONEST COMPANY – $0
- ETSY – $0
- ZULILY – $0
- BLUEHOST – $0 (Even though I “earned” $0 in affiliate sales, I finally reached the threshold to get paid out for my two previous referrals. That’s officially $130 that I legitimately earned from blogging. The best part is, one of the people that signed up through my link is a complete stranger. Her blog is Nomad Melody if you want to check it out.)
TOTAL BLOG INCOME – $13.45
Still working on the slow and steady wins the race adage. I always wish I had more time to spend on here, but I’m loving every minute I do get.
As always, thanks for stopping by and checking out this roller coaster I’m on.