Every Summer our family packs up for a fun little cabin getaway with a small group of friends. While the kids can usually keep themselves entertained, we try to find a few different craft projects for when they start to go stir-crazy. Last year we had a glitter and pom pom explosion that was a nightmare to clean up. So I wanted to go with something a little more contained. (This post contains affiliate links for your convenience so that you can see exactly what was used.)
Decoupage Wooden Letter Magnets
When I found these wooden letters at Target for only $.79 each, I knew right away what this year’s craft would be. We already had a couple of decoupage wooden letter magnets on our fridge from various craft fairs. So I thought it would be fun to let the kids be able to make their own.
After I picked up a wooden initial for each kid, I immediately saw this amazing marbled tissue paper. It was a variety pack so had pinks, blues, reds, and yellows. Each kid could surely find a color they loved.
You could also use any other kind of tissue paper, or even different scrapbook paper as well. What I liked about the tissue paper was the fun texture it gave the magnets, and you can buy a LOT of it for a lot less than a lot of scrapbook paper. Which can be a lot!
I already had a bag of 1″ foam brushes, and a large jar of Mod Podge glue. All that was left were some self-adhesive magnets that I found easily on Amazon. So the whole craft project only put me out around $15 total for 8 kids. Plus, the project is age appropriate across a wide range of skill level. The two year old had just as much fun making these as the 7 year old.
How to Make Decoupage Wooden Letter Magnets
- First, I poured the the glue into a couple of paper bowls, and gave every couple of kids a bowl to share.
- Then the kids used the foam brushes to cover their letters in glue.
- Tear the tissue paper into little pieces and stick different pieces on to the glue covered letter.
- Once you have the wooden letter covered in tissue paper, spread another layer of glue on top of everything to seal it in.
- Once the glue is dry, stick the magnets on to the back of the wooden letters.
- And that’s it! Now you have super cute homemade decoupage wooden magnetic letters.
You could have a lot of fun with these for the holidays as well. Any of this Christmas tissue paper would be super fun to use. And there are so many cute holiday scrapbook paper prints.
Hope you enjoy this fun craft with your kiddos, or even just for yourself!
Check out our Printables Library with checklists, coloring books, wall art, and more! Sign up below to get the password sent to you:
p.s. Sign up for our newsletter here and get fun facts and post updates straight to your inbox.