Welcome back to another edition of awesome girls’ hairstyles in under 10 minutes. This Criss Cross Twist do would be really cute as a back to school style. But honestly it’s so easy that you could really do it for an every day style as well! (This post contains affiliate links.)
I am admittedly NOT a hair person, and generally not a fan of bows or fancy hairstyles. But my sister-in-law is often the one getting my daughter ready for school in the morning, and she’s found some really cute dos that she can whip out in under 10 minutes flat.
My daughter likes to say her aunt has “mad hair skills”. While this is true, she also has mad research skills at finding styles that look really complicated, but are actually super simple. I know, because I’ve tried them before.
And when I say they can be done in under 10 minutes, I mean that even I can do them in under 10 minutes. Which means that YOU can do them in under 10 minutes as well. If you have any questions feel free to ask away in the comments!
How to do Criss Cross Twist Girls Hairstyle
Check the full video tutorial right here, or find the written instructions below:
Written Step-By-Step Criss Cross Twist Girls Hairstyle
The key to most, if not all, of these hairstyles is a good rattail, or teasing comb. My SIL uses one similar to this:
And these clear elastics work great in this style:
Then just a good ole’ spray bottle filled with water is my personal key to hairstyle success! These amber ones are great if you’re trying to be plastic-free!
Now on to the tutorial:
1) Spray the hair with water to get damp, and brush.
2) Divide the hair in half across the middle, ear to ear.
3) Use an elastic to hold the top half in place for a moment.
4) You will be dividing the hair in 4 parts on both the top and bottom.
5) Start with the bottom left 1/4, and make a ponytail.
6) Take your temporary elastic out of the top half (have the child hold the section of hair when needed) and part the top left quarter of hair. Tie it into a ponytail.
7) Now make a part down the middle of the bottom section (this gives your second 1/4 section of hair)
8) Twist the top left ponytail you just made down to the bottom section you just created, tie it with an elastic. This leaves the first bottom left ponytail hanging for now.
9) Make a part down the middle of the top section, and gather that second 1/4 section of hair in your hand.
10) Twist the first bottom left ponytail you made up to the top section you just made. Tie it with an elastic.
11) Make your final part on the bottom half (you now have 2 bottom sections left).
12) Twist the second top left ponytail down to the third section of hair you just made. Tie it with an elastic.
13) Make the final part in the top half (you now have 2 top sections left).
14) Twist the bottom left ponytail (of the two that are hanging down) up to the top third section of hair you just made. Tie it with an elastic.
15) Take the remaining bottom section, and twist the top pony you just made down to it. Tie with an elastic.
16) Twist the bottom left pony up to the remaining top section of hair. Tie with an elastic.
17) You should now have no loose hair left.
18) Take the remaining two ponytails and tie them together with an elastic about an inch down.
19) Tie another elastic about 1/3 of the way down that ponytail.
20) And another elastic 2/3 of the way down that ponytail.
And there you have it! No bow necessary, but feel free if that’s your thing.
Other posts you may enjoy:
Let’s stay in touch! Prevent FOMO and sign up here for awesome updates to your inbox.