Now that it’s November, I feel like I can officially start to think about Christmas shopping. In the past I’ve been a Christmas Eve sort of gal. It turns out, though, that’s a lot more stressful than getting a few gifts here and there over the couple of months leading up to the Big Day, not to mention a lot more cost effective.
(This post contains affiliate links.)
While we try to abide by our own rules, we are not perfect (hence our name). If you were to come over to our house, you would find toy bins full of plastic toys. BUT, that being said, we are making an effort to steer away from the plastics and towards more earth-friendly alternatives. We started in the kitchen with drinking cups and kids dishes, and will always lean towards the non-plastic toys whenever possible.
This list is a combination of both practical, and fun. I asked my 5 1/2 year old what she thought of them and she approved of every single one. She was even interested in the baby toys.
Random Side Note:
In my quest for unique gift ideas, I stumbled across this awesome website called Life Without Plastic. Oh I got sucked in, super bad. I’ve never wanted a wooden toilet brush so badly in my life (yes, that’s a gift hint for any family members reading this). But I digress. The point is, it’s quite easy to find much of what you need in life that’s much friendlier to our environment than plastic is.
Back to the kids. If you’re having trouble coming up with gift ideas, for the Holidays or just in general, here are 19 non-plastic gift ideas that you can order right online, and your little recipient will be sure to love.
19 Non-Plastic Gifts:
- Cotton Swim Floaties – We actually go swimming just as much during the winter as the summer. The local rec center has a great indoor pool, and these are just too cute.
- Retro Wooden Balance Bike – I love these so much, kinda wish they made them in my size.
- Organic Cotton Hooded Bath Towel – Great for that new baby, or even my 5 year old girl loves getting new towels.
- Kids Dust Brush and Dust Pan – Our kids absolutely loooooove mini cleaning supplies.
- Wool Insulated Lunch Bag – The zipper and buttons on the front make for a cute little face.
- Cute Double Wall Stainless Tumbler – I love getting new cups for the kids as stocking stuffers.
- Melissa and Doug Food Groups – Cooking toys are great for all ages, and they last forever.
- Melissa and Doug Stainless Steel Pots and Pans – We’ve had a set of these pots and pans for years and they’re still in amazing shape.
- Wooden Discovery Blocks – Another great one for babies, there’s lots in this little set to keep them entertained.
- Animal Nesting Dolls – Here’s another one that spans across many ages. If your kids are anything like mine, they love anything you can put inside other things.
- Little Chef Wooden Toy Play Kitchen – Kitchens are so universal and also great for every age.
- Wooden Toolkit – Both our kids absolutely love this set. Full disclosure, they may love it a little too much. The very active hammering can get a bit loud at times.
- Wood Blocks Set – We have some friends who have these, and our kids would OBSESS over them every time we went over.
- Bamboo Kids Toothbrush – These would also be perfect for a stocking stuffer.
- Modular Wooden Castle – There are so many possibilities for both boys and girls with this cool castle.
- Personalized 10 Pin Wooden Bowling Set – We have a plastic bowling set that the kids love and I so wish we had done these instead!
- Wooden Xylophone – Musical instruments are the best, but wooden ones are especially great because they’re not as loud!!!
- Organic Terry Cotton Giant Bib – Maybe more of a present for you, but especially if you go the Baby Led Weaning route, you’ll looooove the giant bibs! I wish I had only purchased these from the very beginning.
- EverEarth Garden Activity Cube – This is another one of those toys that kids will literally obsess over. Hours of entertainment.
Bonus item – I received a comment that the Modular Castle was a little difficult to play with, so I figured I would add a bonus gift that I think is soooo cute! This Children’s Cookie Tin Kit is so fun and encourages your kids to help in the kitchen.
PS – Sign up for our newsletter here and get fun facts and post updates straight to your inbox.